Psychology books

As I’m a big fan of psychology books - do you have any recommendations on this?
The two that I can strongly recommend are:

• “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman
  • “The Disordered Mind: What Unusual Brains Tell Us about Ourselves” by Eric R. Kandel.

Do you have any other ones about psychology that you would recommend?

2 Likes

Not yet! But there is one sitting on my shelf I’m hoping to get to soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never really gravitated towards psy books, but I am always curious about how our minds work and how our behaviors can have such an impact on all that we do! Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into them!
@Pjoter what would you say is your favorite concept or theory you enjoy reading the most about Psychology?

This one is absolutely classic, though I haven’t read it yet :slight_smile:
I remember that the first time I heard about Kahneman was in the context of global markets and economy, as years ago he’s received the Nobel Prize in Economics.
Then I noticed this book being recommended in many places and I was like “well, the author’s name sounds familiar, but it can’t be this economics guy”. But it is the same guy :sweat_smile:

I recently started reading Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking, so far so good. If you’re into psychology probably you’re already familiar with many concepts described in it, but you can give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Beca - it’s kinda hard to say which one is my favourite so far. But I really like the way that Kahneman described how people make decisions which they consider “logical”, but in many cases they are wrong, or how changing the question might influence the response we get. Fair to say Kahneman get a Nobel Prize in Economy as is famous for his researches in human rationality :wink:

2 Likes

What books would you recommend for a beginner delving into psy?

2 Likes

It depends what you are interested in :wink:
With the “academical” approach I would suggest “Psychology. Core concepts” by Philip Zimbardo. Start with Vol 1 only (it’s a massive 5-volume study!) and if you like it - you can continue with other volumes :wink: I have also heard that “The Lucifer effect” is amazing and I have in on my list for next year.
Continuing with “academical” approach, I was told to check out “Group dynamics” by Donelson R. Forsyth, but didn’t read this yet. Same with Joseph LeDoux :slight_smile:
With less formal approach, then as above - Kahneman is a must-read!
And last but not least - the “biological” approach (in terms of explaining psychology based on how our brain is build and how it works) - then definitely “The Disordered Mind: What Unusual Brains Tell Us about Ourselves” by Eric R. Kandel. It quite well explains how psychical illnesses might affect our brains, and vice versa - how brain damages can affect changes in people behaviour.
However, if you would like to start with this topic (which is kinda difficult!) I think you could start with “The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery” by Sam Kean - it’s far less formal and “lighter”, but also gives an interesting overview on our brains.
P.S. I have a big list of psychology books that I want to read next year, so for sure will give you some updates once I found something interesting :smiley:

2 Likes

@Pjoter thanks for the book recommendations! I’ve added some of these to my tbr list. Well I’m interested in behavioral and social psychology. It’s all so fascinating but it becomes a bit tedious when all the psy terms are thrown into the mix :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Pjoter did you read “Mindhunter” by John E. Douglas, Mark Olshaker? It is book about criminal-personality profiling on serial killers and beginnings of so called “profiling” in forensic science. So I would definitely marked this book as psychology one :blush:

2 Likes

Haven’t heard about this one! I will definitely check this out, thank you!

Why are we so alike?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like