Non-fiction books only!

Ciao!

As non-fiction books are my favourite ones, I would love to discuss with you some of my loved ones :smiley:
As I have very technical mindset (and I’m kinda introverted), I find in them answers to many questions I had when I was a child - especially about maths, physics, but also biology or history.
Do you have any favourite non-fiction ones? There’s a short list from my side, hope you’ll enjoy them!
Natural science: Matt Walker - why we sleep? (this book literally changed my life)
Maths: David Daring - Weirder Maths: At the edge of the possible
Popular science:
Yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion
Randal Munroe - What if? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything
Nick Bostrom - Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies

Those ones are definitely my favourite ones, but I have a lot new ones on my TBR list, so… I’ll keep you posted :wink:

I’ve heard about this one, I’ve yet to read it! It interests me because I grew up catholic and even went to a catholic school when we lived in Mexico, but as I got older and we moved to the US, I did not practice anymore. I actually never really felt the genuine need to keep practicing “my faith”, it always felt like a chore rather than something I genuinely wanted to feel or do.

What did you think about this book?

1 Like

@Beca similar story here - I grew up in Poland, rather catholic family, but I never really was into this… Then when I was older it was clear for me that I prefer science to “God” concept.
Dawkins in the first chapter explains that his goal is to make the reader, regardless if he/she believes in God, at least agnostic (or better for him - atheist).
First 2-3 chapters were difficult tho, but once I finished them it became more interesting and I was really feeling that the guy has a lot of points that I agree with.
This book is not the one that you can just take from the shelve, read and put it back.
It contains a lot of information and it’s not always easy (especially if you grew up as a catholic), but at the end of the day - I understand why Dawkins was so confident to make the “reader” an atheist.
Not an easy one, but definitely worth reading :wink:

1 Like

I will be honest and say I have never read the Bible. At least anything that I remember! I did try to read it once after a copy was gifted to me for my first communion. I remember reading the first few pages and then closing it. Lol I definitely want to read it now that I am older and can think for myself! I am sure it’s a good read, regardless whether I believe in religion or not!