Fiction or nonfiction?

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying lots of reading!

My question today is do you prefer reading Fiction, or Nonfiction? Is there a reason why? Is there some from one category you like even though you prefer the other?

For me, I’m Fiction all the way! I find that unless the topic greatly interests me, that I can’t wrap my head around Nonfiction books and that they bore me. I actually started reading 2 Nonfiction books a couple months ago, and haven’t picked them up since. Oops haha

2 Likes

Hi! Very good question! I find that I do enjoy reading more Fiction than Nonfiction. I love History a lot so if it’s fiction or non i will read it. :thinking::thinking: I like fiction because it gets my imagination going as I read. On Nonfiction I’ve read quite a few biographies from ranging from The Tudors to Hollywood Actors. :laughing::laughing: I suppose it depends on what I feel like reading

2 Likes

Such a great questions, @Katreviewsbooks!
Fiction for me for sure! Although, also like @rarredond05, I enjoy history as well (we are sisters after all :stuck_out_tongue:) But I’ll say that I love fiction as it transports me to different worlds that I would never otherwise experience as well as meet characters beyond my imagination. It’s a beautiful escape into another human beings creativity and imagination!

I also enjoy some non-fiction books about self-growth and development, biographies etc, but more often than not I will be reading a fiction book :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’ve read some autobiographies from YouTubers I used to watch but that’s it on my side of things :rofl:

I wish I could get into self help books! There are things I want to work on but I always get bored :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah, they weren’t my cup of tea at first tbh, but I find bits of wisdom here and there! But like I always say, “Different strokes for different folks”!

1 Like

I’m in #TeamNonFiction!
I like fiction books as well, but I’m a kind of person that loves to learn, and for me this is the most enjoyable way of discovering new things. Also, with my various “science” interest areas (maths, statistics, informatics, psychology, a bit of history, physics…) - I don’t have so much time for “fiction” books :sweat_smile:
P.S. and the biggest advantage of reading a lot of non-fiction books is the ability to tell if someone is bulls******g or not. Especially in the “fake news” times.

3 Likes

My boyfriend feels the same way! He listens to a lot of Nonfiction audiobooks so

1 Like

It’s quite a hard question to answer really as there are so many amazing non-fiction books out there at the moment. I am a huge lover of fiction but after reading books like Unnatural Causes by Richard Shepherd and having a lot of true crime books on my TBR, I’d kind of say half and half. It usually depends on my mood!

3 Likes

That makes total sense!!! Also, welcome to our community @emilylouisereads :partying_face::blush:

2 Likes

Hello!

I am also in #TeamNonFiction as @Pjoter. :slight_smile:
As I am mostly about thriller and murder mystery books I enjoy them most when they have scientific facts etc (like mentioned Simon Beckett books).
Also some biographic books related to that topic or a books based on real stories, like:

• Death’s Acre
  • Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
  • Mindhunter
  • Never Suck A Dead Man’s Hand: Curious Adventures of a CSI :see_no_evil:

or two Polish books:

• Polskie Archiwum X
  • Bez strachu. Jak umiera człowiek

So… :slight_smile:

About fantasy, I do not read Science Fiction books, but I really like a books that are placed in world of magic, unicorns, elves (so Lord of The Rings type of World). :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

4 Likes

LOTR is my favorite!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Staying informed is definitely important - plus, this helps you rely on facts aside from what the news or media outlets are headlining and form your own educated opinion!

1 Like

Wow, what a range of interests! :open_mouth: :joy: :rofl:

I’d say that now, after almost 20 years of reading fiction-only, I’m geting more and more into non-fiction.
I just like stuff that helps me better understand things and behaviors around me (even my own).

Of course, there’s a lot of non-fiction books that look like the yellow diagram :smile: I feel that some of them should be nothing more than a short article or a series of blog posts, rather than a 200+ page book :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’d read them more if they were articles/blog posts tbh!

In this case you may want to check out non-fiction summaries on websites like Four Minute Books, or if you prefer an app you can try out StoryShots or Blinkist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blinkist is always cool! :slight_smile: I agree with this suggestion!