Book or movie first?

I just watched the movie Howards End and realized it’s based on the book by the same name from author E.M. Forster. Of course knowing now there is a book about this movie… I headed to the bookstore and bought the book :laughing::laughing:
Just out of curiosity…If you know there is a movie about a book, do you read the book 1st or do you watch the movie 1st?

2 Likes

Book first, so I can complain to people that the book was better :rofl:

2 Likes

Hmm, this is a tricky question for me, but I think I would rather read the book first and then watch the movie. I’d rather know the whole back story, etc than just rely on the movie.
I read LOTR first before watching the movies and I am so glad I did! Don’t get me wrong LOTR movies are MY ALL TIME FAVORITE, and they kept pretty true to the books but did miss or leave out some scenes from the books that I thought were important!

Also, I know it’s not a movie, but I watched the Witcher series on Netflix and was SO confused after watching the first 2 episodes. I couldn’t really keep up with the storyline so I read all the Witcher books. And of course, the books were way better. But I’ll still watch it because of Henry Cavill :heart_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

1 Like

In the case of Witcher, the question should be “Game or book or movie first?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For me it’s the movie first – if I first read the book, then I already know literally everything that will happen in the movie, and it is just waiting for this next and next scene which I remember from the book.

But if I read the book after watching the movie, there is still something new in the story waiting for me. Sometimes it even gives more background of the characters, which can lead to this “aha” moment when some random behavior of this character shown in the movie now starts to make much more sense based on the context from the book :smiley:

2 Likes

True but even when I played W2 I wasn’t sure of exactly what was going on TBH :sweat_smile:. I just knew I had to either kill Letho or let him live.

I do love Henry C. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I had a hard time understanding Witcher series too but I couldn’t stop watching it :laughing:

1 Like

Good point. I think for me watching the movie 1st kinda makes me loose that piece of imagining the character. But then there are movies that are really bad and the books turn out to be way better lol

1 Like